Welcome to Second Church in Dorchester, a Church of the Nazarene. We are located in the historic neighborhood of Codman Square, Dorchester, named after Dr. John Codman, the first pastor of the church Second Church. We are a vibrant, growing church in the middle of an urban community in the city of Boston, Massachusetts, offering many opportunities for involvement through worship, education, missions and outreach ministries. Our people are from diverse backgrounds and offer a rich resource for our society.
We hope you will come and find a place you can call home, a place to spark your interest, inspire your involvement, and fulfill your yearning for spiritual nourishment.
Second Church in Dorchester is a Christian Community that seeks Communion with God and the Conversion of souls as we strive towards Continuous Growth in all areas of life.
Committed to sharing resources through God’s Love (Acts 2: 44-47)
Committed to the experiencing and expressing of a spiritual union with God (John 4:24)
Committed to bringing people to a life changing knowledge of Jesus Christ (Luke 19:10)
Committed to striving towards excellence in all areas of life (Ephesians 4:11-16)
These are the beliefs Nazarenes hold to be true. They are common to Christians world-wide:
- We believe in one God who has expressed himself in personal ways. We know God’s personality as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe the Bible communicates God’s saving message and is our reliable authority in all matters related to faith and Christian living.
- We believe that all humankind struggles with a downward pull. We believe that unless we experience God’s help and salvation through a faith commitment to Jesus Christ, our future is one of eternal separation from God and all that is good.
- We believe the love and grace of God is extended to every person in the provision Jesus Christ made in his death and resurrection. By turning from our own selfishness and trusting Jesus Christ, we experience a new life, being freed from the old patterns of self-destructive acts called sin.
- We believe our new life in Jesus Christ is the gateway to transformation. Following our moment of faith in Jesus, we believe there is another moment in which we present our life completely to Christ in order to live under his authority and to experience his transforming power.
- We believe that Christian experience is more than a change of mind. It is accompanied by assurance that is grounded in both the Scriptures as well as the inner witness of God’s Spirit.
- We believe that all who live for Jesus Christ have an eternal future. Our belief in such a future includes both the fulfillment of God’s creative purpose as well as the accountability of all persons endowed with the power of choice.